40 Hour Basic Mediation Training
Our next training begins November 3, 2020
This 40-hour online mediation training, presented by OC Human Relations staff, is appropriate for any individual who wishes to develop better personal or professional conflict resolution skills as well as for those who plan to become professional mediators. Successful completion of the training, which exceeds the requirements of the Dispute Resolutions Programs Act (DRPA), qualifies the new mediator to participate in DRPA mediation programs across the state of California.
The collective knowledge, experience, and communication of the OCHR staff provided a training experience that exceeded my expectations and prepared me to become involved in mediating in my community.
Topics Covered in the Basic Mediation Training Include:
- History of Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Dispute Resolution Program Act and Regulations
- Impact and Role of the Mediator
- Understanding Conflict and the Cycle of Conflict
- Multicultural, Age and Gender Issues
- Preparing for Clients and Developing Trust
- The Facilitative Style of Mediation
- The Structure of Mediation
- Overview of the Stages of Mediation
- Active Listening Skills and Reframing Toxic Language
- Managing Threats to the Process
- Power Imbalances
- Creating Options / Building on Agreement / BATNA
- Small Claims Mediation – Forms & Procedures
- Online Mediation – Benefits and Challenges
The Mediator Certification Consortium of California (MC3) has approved this course as satisfying its requirement for a program that covers the basics in how to conduct mediation. Those satisfactorily completing this course may use their completion certificate as proof of having completed this requirement when applying for MC3 Certification.
November 2020 TRAINING COMPONENTS:
I. ZOOM MEETING SESSIONS (26 HOURS)
- Tuesday, Nov 3, 2020 6-9pm
- Thursday, Nov 5, 2020 6-9pm
- Saturday, Nov 7, 2020 9-3pm
- Tuesday, Nov 10, 2020 6-9pm
- Thursday, Nov 12, 2020 6-9pm
- Saturday, Nov 14, 2020 9-3pm
- Tuesday, Nov 17, 2020 6-9pm
II. GUIDED LEARNING ACTIVITIES (14 HOURS)
Readings, reflections and activities to be completed by trainees at their own pace and on their own schedule between Zoom meetings
The next training will be offered in February 2021
Due to Covid-19 safety guidelines, the November training sessions will be delivered online
The cost for the 40-hour training is $525 ($495 with early registration).
PLEASE NOTE: Any cancellation/refund requests must be in writing and received 14 days before the first training date and will be subject to a $50 cancellation fee.
ADDITIONAL MEDIATION CERTIFICATION AVAILABLE FOR VOLUNTEERS AND INTERNS
Our Mediation Program provides an opportunity to get hands-on experience as a practicing mediator with our Dispute Resolution Program while earning certification. As a volunteer mediator, you can practice and develop your mediation skills while applying them in real-life community and court-based situations. Additionally, we offer a Lead Mediator Certification process, which includes one-on-one mentoring sessions and performance evaluations. Applicants for this program must be available during our daytime weekday hours (8am-5pm). Individuals with bilingual abilities are particularly encouraged to participate in this program. For more information please refer to our Dispute Resolution Volunteer page or contact Dispute Resolution Program Director, Kathy Shimizu at 714-480-6581 or [email protected]