32 Hour Basic Mediation Training
Fall Training Starts Nov 28, Registration Now OPEN!
This 32-hour training is provided by Groundswell staff, and exceeds the requirements of the Dispute Resolutions Programs Act (DRPA). Successful completion of the training qualifies the new mediator to participate in DRPA mediation programs across the state of California.
The Mediator Certification Consortium of California (MC3) has approved this course as satisfying its requirement for a program that covers the basics in how to conduct mediation. Those satisfactorily completing this course may use their completion certificate as proof of having completed this requirement when applying for MC3 Certification.
The collective knowledge, experience, and communication of the Groundswell staff provided a training experience that exceeded my expectations and prepared me to become involved in mediating in my community.
About Our Training
This training focuses on facilitative mediation – the mediator’s role is to guide parties through the mediation process, helping them to communicate more effectively and helping them identify and explore solutions to their own problems. The training is appropriate for any individual who wishes to develop better personal or professional conflict resolution skills as well as for those who plan to become professional mediators.
This training is very interactive. Participants are provided with numerous ‘hands-on’ opportunities to practice facilitative mediation skills in small group role play situations with live coaches who give instant feedback and direction.
Topics Covered in the Basic Mediation Training Include:
- History of Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Dispute Resolution Program Act and Regulations
- Understanding Conflict, Conflict Styles and the Cycle of Conflict
- The Facilitative Style of Mediation
- The Mediation Process: Stages of Mediation
- Preparing for Clients and Developing Trust
- Active Listening Skills and Reframing Toxic Language
- Managing Threats to the Process and Power Imbalances
- Creating Options / Building on Agreement / BATNA
- Writing Agreements
- The role of Bias in Mediation
- Ethics in Mediation
- LIVE COACHING in mediation roleplay sessions
The cost for the 32-hour training is $675
- DISCOUNTS: A $50 discount is available for early registration (prior to October 31)
- Please contact us to inquire about special group discounts.
- FINANCIAL NEED: Groundswell would like to provide opportunities for those with financial need to receive Dispute Resolution training opportunities. Contact us to discuss your special financial needs or to set up a payment plan.
- CANCELLATION: Any cancellation/refund requests must be in writing and received 14 days before the first training date and will be subject to a $50 cancellation fee.
- Tuesday, Nov. 21 6-7pm (optional orientation)
- Tuesday, Nov. 28 6-9pm
- Thursday, Nov. 30 6-9pm
- Saturday, Dec. 2 9-4pm
- Tuesday, Dec 5 6-9pm
- Thursday, Dec 7 6-9pm
- Saturday, Dec 9 9-4pm
Groundswell can only provide partial scholarships. All accepted applicants are required to attend the entire training. The cost of Groundswell’s Basic Mediation Training is $675 ($625 early bird). Each applicant may request a maximum scholarship of $575.
Applications will be reviewed and accepted on a rolling basis, you are encouraged to apply early. If you are selected as a recipient, you will be emailed instructions on how to claim your scholarship.
Please contact Senior Conflict Resolution Specialist, Madeline Wall: email@example.com if you have questions about this Basic Mediation Training or to discuss any special needs or concerns.
“The success of this online course could only manifest from a truly healthy and cohesive group of developers, coaches, and instructors. You modeled for us (the class) what you are teaching us to do in mediation: let them do the work. I can’t speak highly enough of this experience. I learned so much. The material was easy to navigate. Everything was organized and easy to follow. The instruction was top notch!”
ADDITIONAL MEDIATION OPPORTUNITIES AVAILABLE FOR VOLUNTEERS AND INTERNS
Our Mediation Program provides an opportunity to get hands-on experience as a practicing mediator with our Alternative Dispute Resolution Program. As a volunteer mediator, you can practice and develop your mediation skills while applying them in real-life community and court-based situations.
Upon completion of this Basic Mediation Training we welcome you to apply for this program. Applicants for this program must be available during our daytime weekday hours (8am-5pm) and be able to participate for a minimum of six months. Individuals with bilingual abilities are particularly encouraged to participate in this program.
If you’re interested in future training dates, please click the button below and we’ll add you to our interest list, so you’ll be notified of upcoming trainings.