40 Hour Basic Mediation Training
Our next training begins April 15, 2021
This 40-hour training is provided by OC Human Relations staff, and exceeds the requirements of the Dispute Resolutions Programs Act (DRPA). Successful completion of the training qualifies the new mediator to participate in DRPA mediation programs across the state of California.
The Mediator Certification Consortium of California (MC3) has approved this course as satisfying its requirement for a program that covers the basics in how to conduct mediation. Those satisfactorily completing this course may use their completion certificate as proof of having completed this requirement when applying for MC3 Certification.
The collective knowledge, experience, and communication of the OCHR staff provided a training experience that exceeded my expectations and prepared me to become involved in mediating in my community.
About Our Training
This training focuses on facilitative mediation – the mediator’s role is to guide parties through the mediation process, helping them to communicate more effectively and helping them identify and explore solutions to their own problems. The training is appropriate for any individual who wishes to develop better personal or professional conflict resolution skills as well as for those who plan to become professional mediators.
This training is very interactive. Participants are provided with numerous ‘hands-on’ opportunities to practice facilitative mediation skills in small group role play situations with live coaches who give instant feedback and direction.
Topics Covered in the Basic Mediation Training Include:
- History of Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Dispute Resolution Program Act and Regulations
- Understanding Conflict, Conflict Styles and the Cycle of Conflict
- The Facilitative Style of Mediation
- The Mediation Process: Stages of Mediation
- Preparing for Clients and Developing Trust
- Active Listening Skills and Reframing Toxic Language
- Managing Threats to the Process and Power Imbalances
- Creating Options / Building on Agreement / BATNA
- Writing Agreements
- The role of Bias & Culture in Mediation
- Ethics in Mediation and Ethical Dilemmas
- Small Claims Mediation Overview – Forms & Procedures
- Online Mediation – Basic Guidelines, Benefits and Challenges
- LIVE COACHING in mediation roleplay sessions
The upcoming training sessions will be delivered online via Zoom and Google Classroom:
- ZOOM MEETING SESSIONS (27 HOURS) – see scheduled dates below
- GUIDED LEARNING ACTIVITIES (13 HOURS) – Google classroom activities are assigned to be completed by each participant on their own time before each zoom session. Assignments consist of videos, reading, self-assessments and other activities.
The cost for the 40-hour training is $555 -$495.
Pricing is based on various options, including digital or printed manual options and discounts for early registration. Please contact us to inquire about group discounts.
PLEASE NOTE: Any cancellation/refund requests must be in writing and received 14 days before the first training date and will be subject to a $50 cancellation fee.
If you have questions about this Basic Mediation Training, please contact our lead trainer: Lenora Forschner: [email protected]or call (714)455-9759
Upcoming Training Dates:
- Thursday, April 15, 2021 – Orientation 6:00-7:00 pm
- Tuesday, April 20, 2021 – Session 1 6:00-9:00 pm
- Thursday, April 22, 2021 – Session 2 6:00-9:00 pm
- Saturday, April 24, 2021 – Session 3 9:00-3:00 pm
- Tuesday, April 27, 2021 – Session 4 6:00-9:00 pm
- Thursday, April 29, 2021 – Session 5 6:00-9:00 pm
- Saturday, May 1, 2021 – Session 6 9:00-3:00 pm
- Tuesday, May 4, 2021 – Session 7 6:00-9:00 pm
- Thursday, June 3, 2021 – Orientation 6:00-7:00 pm
- Tuesday, June 8, 2021 – Session 1 6:00-9:00 pm
- Thursday, June 10, 2021 – Session 2 6:00 – 9:00 pm
- Saturday, June 12, 2021 – Session 3 9:00-3:00 pm
- Tuesday, June 15, 2021 – Session 4 6:00-9:00 pm
- Thursday, June 17, 2021 – Session 5 6:00-9:00 pm
- Saturday, June 19, 2021 – Session 6 9:00-3:00 pm
- Tuesday, June 22, 2021 – Session 7 6:00-9:00 pm
“The success of this online course could only manifest from a truly healthy and cohesive group of developers, coaches, and instructors. You modeled for us (the class) what you are teaching us to do in mediation: let them do the work. I can’t speak highly enough of this experience. I learned so much. The material was easy to navigate. Everything was organized and easy to follow. The instruction was top notch!”
ADDITIONAL MEDIATION OPPORTUNITIES AVAILABLE FOR VOLUNTEERS AND INTERNS
Our Mediation Program provides an opportunity to get hands-on experience as a practicing mediator with our Dispute Resolution Program. As a volunteer mediator, you can practice and develop your mediation skills while applying them in real-life community and court-based situations.
Upon completion of this Basic Mediation Training we welcome you to apply for this program. Applicants for this program must be available during our daytime weekday hours (8am-5pm) and be able to participate for a minimum of six months. Individuals with bilingual abilities are particularly encouraged to participate in this program.