MISSION: Seek out the causes of tension and conflict, discrimination and intolerance, and eliminate those causes
Monthly Summary of Activities: August 2017
Police Community Reconciliation Program: Commission staff provided PCRP mediation services to the OC Probation department and navigation support and information in three other Orange County cities.
Sherriff’s Interfaith Council: Commission Director attended and participated in Sherriff’s Interfaith Council meeting.
Sherriff’s Academy Panel: Commission staff participated as a panelist at latest Sherriff’s Academy Training in Irvine, CA.
Tustin PD National Night Out: Commission staff conducted PCRP, hate crime reporting, and Commission program outreach at Tustin PD National Night Out.
Community Outreach & Presentations:
- Commission staff participated in Outreach/Presentation on PCRP/Hate Crime Assistance in Laguna Woods
- Commission staff facilitated hate crime education presentation at Keeping Peace in Our Community event in Santa Ana.
- Commission staff presented on Commission programs & Hate Crime reporting at the Eliminating Racial Disproportionality & Disparity workgroup for the County of Orange.
- Commission staff met with OVSD to follow‐up on a complaint case referred by district staff.
- Commission Director participated in OC Solidarity Convening meeting at COR Church in Irvine
- Commission staff met with Cambodian Family Center staff and participated in center tour.
- Commission staff met with Sherriff staffer Gail Krause to plan for PCRP and Hate Crime reporting outreach.
- Commission staff participated in the California Association of Human Relations Organizations committee phone call.
#Hate Free OC Campaign:
- Commission staff conducted #HateFreeOC campaign outreach at community event in Huntington Beach.
- Commission staff participated in planning session for potential Diversity training for Column Five marketing firm.
- Commission staff facilitated Implicit Bias presentation at Basic Mediation Training for OC Human Relations.
- Commission staff attended a safe space conference planning to support LGBTQ students at Anaheim Elementary School District.
- Commission staff mediated a Restorative Justice case at Brookhurst Jr. High.
- Commission staff attended the Community Resiliency meeting in Huntington Beach.
Commission Director One-on-Ones:
- Commission Director met with Commissioner Singer.
- Commission Director met with Supervisor Nelson staffer Mark Lopez.
- Commission Director spoke to John Becknell for strategic planning updates.
- Commission Director met with Pastor Whitlock & Reverend Dorsey to discuss future partnerships with COR Church.
Community Building and Training
Sheriff’s Academy Training
- Commission staff trained a total of 47 recruits on diversity and implicit bias.