What Should I Do?

  • Call the police or sheriff’s department immediately and make a report.
  • Obtain medical attention, if needed. Be sure to keep all medical documentation.
  • Leave all evidence in place. Do not touch, remove or clean up anything.
  • Document what happened by: taking photographs of the evidence, writing down exactly what was said, particularly any words that indicate bias motivation, and other information that may be valuable.
  • Get the name(s), address(es) and phone number(s) of other victims and witnesses.
  • If possible, write down a description of the perpetrator and the perpetrator’s vehicle.
  • Call 714-480-6580 and report the occurrence OC Human Relations.
  • Download a PDF document that explains why you should report hate and the steps you can do if you witness or are a target of a hate crime or incident.
  • Download an infographic that offers useful information on responding to hate and reporting a hate crime.

Where can I get Help?

EMERGENCY: Call your local Police Department or 911


Help is available through members of the Hate Crime Network  in the form of:

  • translation for non-English speakers
  • information resources and referrals
  • crisis intervention and counseling
  • emergency financial assistance
  • culturally sensitive orientation to the criminal justice system
  • support in communicating with the police, the courts and other authorities.
  • assistance with writing victim impact statements, obtaining restitution assistance and filing Office for Victims of Crime Compensation Claims.

For more information, please email Joyce Sanchez at [email protected] or phone 714-480-6580.

In addition, the following agencies can offer support and assistance.

OC Human Relations714.480.6570
CSP – Victims Assistance949.975.0244
American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU)949.660.5502
Anti-Defamation League (ADL)949.679.3737
Asian Pacific American Legal center213.997.7500
Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR)714.776.1847
The Center Orange County714.534.0862
Japanese-American Citizens League949.586.6640
Los Amigos of Orange County714.758.8090
NAACP of Orange County714.543.3637
CCEJ, LA and Orange County562.435.8184
Orange County District Attorney714.834.3600
OC Asian & Pacific Islander Community Alliance (OCAPICA)714.636.9095
Parents, Families, & Friends of Lesbians & Gays (PFLAG)714.997.8047
South Asian Network (SAN)714.403.0488
Crime and Violence Prevention Center California Attorney General’s Office916.324.7863
California Dept. of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH)800.884.1684
Office of Victims Services California Attorney General’s Office877.433.9069
Sikh Council California877.225.7454
U.S. Department of Justice Office for Victims of Crime800.851.3420

Is there Compensation Available?

California legislation gives the courts the ability to order the perpetrator to pay up to $25,000 to compensate for the harm you have suffered, and/or as punishment, and/or to deter future violations. The courts can issue a restraining order to protect you from further harm. If you decide to pursue a lawsuit against the perpetrator, your first options include  contacting the Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH) and/or hiring a private attorney.