Conflict Resolution Specialist
Accepting Resumes through Noon on Friday, Nov 5, 2021
Send cover letter and resume in PDF format to: Haley Brown – [email protected]
In collaboration with other Dispute Resolution Team members, this individual will support the delivery of mediation
services provided to Orange County residents by the Orange County Human Relations Council through funding received
from the County under the Dispute Resolution Programs Act (DRPA). OC Human Relations has been providing these
services in Orange County for over 20 years.
Description of Duties
40% of time dedicated to mentoring and tracking volunteer mediators new to OCHR’s DRPA Mediation Program as they
progress through the Civil Court Lead Mediator Certification process. Responsibilities include:
- Providing outreach presentations regarding OCHR Volunteer Mediator opportunities and processing new volunteer applications
- Establishing and managing OCHR mediation internship relationships with students and site coordinators from various colleges and universities
- Attending 3-4 Civil Court Mediation sessions per week to work with new volunteers on mediator skills
- Maintaining volunteer records and providing letters of recommendation for volunteers as requested
40% of time dedicated to managing Voluntary Settlement Conference services at Lamoreaux Justice Center.
- Attending 3 Family Court sessions per week to supervise volunteers who are providing Voluntary Settlement Conferences for family court litigants
- Developing and delivering mediation skills trainings for volunteer mediators related to family law case needs
- Ensuring that new cases are screened for special needs, including domestic violence concerns, and assigning cases to appropriately trained mediators
- Developing and maintaining effective relationships with judicial officers and court personnel
- Recruiting, training, supervising and retaining a roster of volunteer mediators for the Family Court
- Collecting, analyzing, and reporting program data
20% of time dedicated to supporting Team in other aspects of the Dispute Resolution Program. Responsibilities include:
- Supporting the team’s extensive conflict resolution training program as a mediation coach and presenter
- Maintaining open communication with Program Director about priorities, projects, and workload
- Working with Program Director and Mediation Team to create and revise protocols and practices to meet changing needs
- Contributing to program outreach and new program development
- Researching and learning to use new tools and technology to support Online Dispute Resolution
- Facilitating or supporting other agency trainings, community meetings, and dialogues as time permits
- A BS/BA degree from an accredited college or university in a relevant field plus substantial experience demonstrating the knowledge and abilities listed below
- DRPA Basic Mediation Certification with a mastery of facilitative mediation skills and a strong working knowledge of alternative dispute resolution practices in general
- Experience working with family law matters: drafting settlement agreements, calculating child support issues, etc.
- Experience as a trainer and/or mentor, preferably in the areas of family law and mediation
- Experience in program or practice development
- Experience with case management systems
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS: Preferred but not required:
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) skills
- Represent the values of OC Human Relations with integrity
- Work with diverse individuals and groups to promote cooperative and amicable resolution of conflict
- Interface effectively with court personnel and judicial officers
- Seek out and develop partnerships with other community organizations
- Work independently, be well organized, and able to work on multiple projects
- Prepare comprehensive written reports and deliver engaging presentations
- Have the flexibility to work some evenings and weekends
- Inspire trainees and volunteers to be passionate about conflict resolution and mediation
- Mediation and ADR Theory and Practices
- Court system and its processes, particularly in the area of Family Law
- Individual and intergroup relations and problem-solving techniques
- Salary Range: $22.00-$24.50 per hour, based on experience
- Full benefits including health, dental, 401(k), life insurance, 9 sick days, 13 paid holidays, 10 paid vacation days, and others will be pro-rated based on the number of hours worked.
At OC Human Relations we believe ALL people have a right to live free from discrimination and violence based on any aspect of their being.
Founded in 1991 as a non-profit 501(c)3 organization, OC Human Relations is a nationally recognized leader in creating safe, inclusive schools and communities, developing diverse leaders, mediating conflict and building respect and inclusion among all people.
OC Human Relations helps shape the future through innovative programs like BRIDGES Safe and Respectful Schools, police/Community Reconciliation, #HateFreeOC, Restorative Justice, Intergroup Dialogues, Hate Crime documentation,
Police training in Implicit Bias, Immigrant Parent Leadership Institute, Community Building, Diverse Leadership Development, Mediation and Conflict Resolution.
OC Human Relations is an equal opportunity employer.