Human Relations Specialist – Community Building Team (Full-time)
Accepting Resumes until NOON September 30th
Send cover letter and resume (in PDF format) to: Sheri Wingate, Office Manager at [email protected]
This position serves as support staff to the Human Relations Commission and is funded through a contract with the County of Orange. The current scope of work focuses on areas of hate crime awareness/prevention, police-community relations, human relations issues awareness, and community crisis response/support. Funding and scope of work are subject to change at the direction of the County and/or Commission.
Under the general supervision of the Executive Director of Human Relations Commission or designee, the implementation of Commission contract activities throughout the County include, but are not limited to:
- Responding to reported hate crimes and hate incidents in collaboration with law enforcement agencies and the public;
- Collecting and analyzing hate crimes and hate incidents data to produce the annual Hate Crime Report,
- Leading the OC Hate Crime Network – a multi-agency collaborative serving victims of hate crimes,
- Leading and communicating effectively with partners organizations to promote collaboration, cohesiveness and problem solving;
- Coordinating the development of promotional materials, social media and outreach activities to educate the community about hate crimes, reporting and victim assistance programs;
- Coordinating, in partnership with community organizations, educational workshops on hate violence and social justice in diverse communities throughout the County;
- Developing and maintaining relationships with local outside stakeholders such as; law-enforcement, community organizations, schools, businesses, and diverse community groups;
- Serving as liaison and representative for the Commission at community meetings, events and other forums to broaden knowledge and expertise on human relations issues and Commission programming;
- Assisting in program development and evaluation;
- Prepareing monthly/quarterly reports regarding program activities;
- Other duties as assigned.
BA/BS degree from an accredited college or university and two years combined experience/education demonstrating the knowledge and abilities listed below.
General Knowledge of:
- Understanding and knowledge of Hate Violence and Hate Crime Laws;
- Understanding human relations/human rights issues;
- Workshop development, facilitation and training skills; • Community relations and collaboration ability;
- Data analytical and writing skills;
- Bilingual English/Spanish expertise is a plus.
Some Knowledge of:
- Crisis response.
- Individual and intergroup relations.
- Problem solving techniques.
- Human and civil rights issues.
- Community building techniques.
- Work with diverse groups and individuals to promote cooperation, dialogue, and understanding
- Respond with empathy, respect and confidentiality during sensitive situations involving hate crimes and hate incidents.
- Work with Law Enforcement agencies, Schools, Governmental agencies, Grassroot organizations and other community members in a respectful and diplomatic manner.
- Work independently, be well organized and able to work on multiple projects.
- Be flexible when responding to calls during the work week and on weekends
The annual salary range is: $42,000 – 54,000
Full benefits including: health, dental, 401(k), life insurance, 9 sick days, 14 paid holidays, 10 paid vacation days, and others.
At OC Human Relations we believe ALL people have a right to live free from discrimination and violence based on any aspect of their being. Founded in 1991 as a non-profit 501(c)3 organization, OC Human Relations is a nationally recognized leader in creating safe, inclusive schools and communities, developing diverse leaders, mediating conflict and building respect and inclusion among all people. OC Human Relations helps shape the future through innovative programs like BRIDGES Safe and Respectful Schools, Police/Community Reconciliation, #HateFreeOC, Restorative Justice, Intergroup Dialogues, Hate Crime documentation, Police training in Implicit Bias, Immigrant Parent Leadership Institute, Community Building, Diverse Leadership Development, Mediation and Conflict Resolution, and OC Human Relations Commission.Please specify the URL of your file