Mediation is a voluntary method of dispute resolution in which the parties settle their dispute with the aid of a trained mediator or a co-mediator team. Agreements are reached through effective communication, negotiation, compromise and exploration of options. Any dispute may be brought to mediation as long as both sides agree to attempt a mediated solution.
The 40-hour basic mediation training is presented by the OC Human Relations staff. The training meets the requirements for DRPA certification* and MCLE credits are available for an additional fee.
Topics Covered in the Basic Mediation Training Include:
- History of Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Dispute Resolution Program Act and Regulations
- Impact and Role of the Mediator
- Understanding Conflict and the Cycle of Conflict
- Multicultural, Age and Gender Issues
- Preparing for Clients and Developing Trust
- The Facilitative Style of Mediation
- The Structure of Mediation
- Overview of the Stages of Mediation
- Active Listening Skills and Reframing Toxic Language
- Managing Threats to the Process
- Power Imbalances
- Creating Options / Building on Agreement / BATNA
- Small Claims Mediation – Forms & Procedures
Training will be held at our office:
1801 E. Edinger St, Suite 115
Santa Ana, CA 92705.
* A 40-hour certification training presented by OC Human Relations in accordance with the Dispute Resolution Programs Act
PLEASE NOTE: Any cancellation/refund requests must be in writing and received 72 hours before the first training date and will be subject to a $50 cancellation fee.
1/16/20 (Thurs.) 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
1/17/20 (Fri.) 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
1/18/20 (Sat.) 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
1/24/20 (Fri.) 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
1/25/20 (Sat.) 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
6/04/20 (Thurs.) 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
6/05/20(Fri.) 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
6/06/20 (Sat.) 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
6/12/20 (Fri.) 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
6/13/20 (Sat.) 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
ADDITIONAL MEDIATION CERTIFICATION AVAILABLE FOR VOLUNTEERS AND INTERNS
Our Mediation Program provides an opportunity to get hands-on experience as a practicing mediator with our Dispute Resolution Program while earning certification. As a volunteer mediator, you can practice and develop your mediation skills while applying them in real-life community and court-based situations. Additionally, we offer a Lead Mediator Certification process, which includes one-on-one mentoring sessions and performance evaluations. Applicants for this program must be available during our daytime weekday hours (8am-5pm). Individuals with bilingual abilities are particularly encouraged to participate in this program.