Mediation is a voluntary method of dispute resolution in which the parties settle their dispute with the aid of a trained mediator or a co-mediator team. Agreements are reached through effective communication, negotiation, compromise and exploration of options. Any dispute may be brought to mediation as long as both sides agree to attempt a mediated solution.
The 40-hour basic mediation training is presented by the OC Human Relations staff. The training meets the requirements for DRPA certification* and MCLE credits are available for an additional fee.
The Mediator Certification Consortium of California (MC3) has approved this course as satisfying its requirement for a program that covers the basics in how to conduct mediation. Those satisfactorily completing this course may use their completion certificate as proof of having completed this requirement when applying for MC3 Certification.
Topics Covered in the Basic Mediation Training Include:
- History of Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Dispute Resolution Program Act and Regulations
- Impact and Role of the Mediator
- Understanding Conflict and the Cycle of Conflict
- Multicultural, Age and Gender Issues
- Preparing for Clients and Developing Trust
- The Facilitative Style of Mediation
- The Structure of Mediation
- Overview of the Stages of Mediation
- Active Listening Skills and Reframing Toxic Language
- Managing Threats to the Process
- Power Imbalances
- Creating Options / Building on Agreement / BATNA
- Small Claims Mediation – Forms & Procedures
The collective knowledge, experience, and communication of the OCHR staff provided a training experience that exceeded my expectations and prepared me to become involved in mediating in my community.
Training will be held at our office:
1801 E. Edinger St, Suite 115
Santa Ana, CA 92705.
* A 40-hour certification training presented by OC Human Relations in accordance with the Dispute Resolution Programs Act
PLEASE NOTE: Any cancellation/refund requests must be in writing and received 72 hours before the first training date and will be subject to a $50 cancellation fee.
6/04/20 (Thurs.) 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
6/05/20(Fri.) 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
6/06/20 (Sat.) 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
6/12/20 (Fri.) 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
6/13/20 (Sat.) 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
ADDITIONAL MEDIATION CERTIFICATION AVAILABLE FOR VOLUNTEERS AND INTERNS
Our Mediation Program provides an opportunity to get hands-on experience as a practicing mediator with our Dispute Resolution Program while earning certification. As a volunteer mediator, you can practice and develop your mediation skills while applying them in real-life community and court-based situations. Additionally, we offer a Lead Mediator Certification process, which includes one-on-one mentoring sessions and performance evaluations. Applicants for this program must be available during our daytime weekday hours (8am-5pm). Individuals with bilingual abilities are particularly encouraged to participate in this program.