MISSION: Seek out the causes of tension and conflict, discrimination and intolerance, and eliminate those causes
Monthly Summary of Activities: September 2017
Police Community Reconciliation Program: Commission Staff facilitated 2 PCRP mediation cases (OCSD & APDand provided 1 PCRP informational session with Anaheim Police Department
Police‐Youth Dialogues: Commission staff facilitated meeting with Tustin PD and Currie Middle School principal to discuss October’s programming
Tustin PD Advisory Board: Commission staff, Don Han, has been appointed to this Board and attended his first meeting this month.
Community Outreach & Presentations:
- Commission staff help facilitate a “Creating Safe Spaces for LGBTQ students” presentation at Brookhurst Jr. High.
- Commission staff collaborated and presented at the Hate Crime Network meeting where the 2016 Hate Crime report was distributed.
- Commission staff participated in panel to share about Commission programming at Chapman Law School even
- Commissioner Director with Commissioner Kim Toan Do conducted outreach to Vietnamese residents in Anaheim to invite them to the 2nd annual Barrio Run event.
- Commission Director participated at the UCI event focus on discussing the “Origins and Meanings of Hate Crime.”
#Hate Free OC Campaign:
- Commission staff facilitated presentation on deescalating conflict at the “Keeping our Communities Safe” event.
- Commission staff facilitated presentation regarding Commission programs at the HC Ambassadors training.
- Commission Director presented on Commission programs at the “Communities Together” event in Anaheim
- Commission staff participated in CAHRO SoCal planning committee conference call.
Commission Director One-on-Ones:
- Commission Director met with the following Board of Supervisors staffers: D1 Chief of Staff – Chris Wangsporn, D2 Chief of Staff – Arie Dana, and D5 Chief of Staff – Paul Walters.
- Commission Director connected with John Becknell twice this month to discuss Commission’s Strategic planning process.
- Commission Director met with a community member interested in Human Relations Commission work and with interest in volunteering.
- Commission Director checked‐in with Commissioners Mark Miller and Dr. Kerry Reynolds this month. .
Community Building and Training
Community Building Circle: Commission staff received a request for a circle dialogue presentation and facilitation at the UNA‐Women meeting in October. Nonviolence Communication: Commission staff attended a training and presentation on Nonviolence and the “Achieving peace through Non‐Violent Communication” event this month.