MISSION: Seek out the causes of tension and conflict, discrimination and intolerance, and eliminate those causes
Monthly Summary of Activities: February 2017
Police Community Reconciliation Program: On 2/7, 2/9, 2/15, and 2/28 – Commission staff met with APD’s Internal Affairs, OCSD-Chiefs and TPD’s chief to introduce new staff, review protocols for PCRP and Hate Crime reporting.
OC LGBTQ Policing Partnership: On 2/7, Commission staff attended the OC LGBTQ Policing Partnership meeting.
Police-Community Dialogues: On 2/7, 2/9, & 2/21 staff conducted listening sessions between 20 Santa Ana residents and 6 service area organizations including Santa Ana PD to strengthen collaborative work and enhance cultural awareness, safety, and quality of life concerns in neighborhood.
Hate Free OC Campaign
Hate Crime & Incidents Identified in February:
- On 2/8, staff responded to the victim of a Hate Crime – referral received from OC Sherriff’s Department.
- On 2/10, staff continued to support local high school in their response to a hate crime.
- On 2/11, staff responded to a hate crime of vandalism.
- On 2/23, staff responded to a hate incident at a local high school.
Community Outreach & Presentations:
- On 2/15, Commission Director attended Los Amigos meeting to introduce herself & share #HateFreeOC campaign.
- On 2/15, staff offered a Hate Crime prevention presentation to 25 parents at Huntington Beach High.
- On 2/16, Commission Director facilitated a planning meeting with OCIN director to identify speakers and moderators for the OCIN forum series.
- On 2/17, staff facilitated a debrief for Not in Our Town film on Hate in Laguna Woods
Commission Director One-on-Ones: Commission Director One-on-Ones: Commission Director met with Chief Hamel, Rabbi Steinberg and Becky Esparza this month.
Community Building and Training
Orange Coast College: On 2/22, in collaboration with OC Human Relations Council, Commission staff met with
Orange Coast College administrators to plan a community building program in order to repair ongoing school club
Community Health Assessment: On 2/23, Commission Director participated in St. Jude Medical Ctr Community
Health Needs Assessment Focus Group.
Implicit Bias Training: On 2/21, staff provided Implicit Bias training at the Anaheim Union High School District to 40 administrative staff.