MISSION: Seek out the causes of tension and conflict, discrimination and intolerance, and eliminate those causes
Monthly Summary of Activities: December 2016
Legal Observer Training: On 12/4 staff attended a Legal Observer training at Western Law School.
Santa Ana Police/Community Dialogue: Community dialogues dates have been set for 1/23, 1/24, & 1/31.
Kennedy Commission – On 11/2 staff attended the Kennedy Commission’s Annual Affordable Housing Banquet and presented an award to the Sisters of St. Joseph.CAHRO: On 12/2 and 12/7 staff participated in a phone conference with CAHRO members to discuss ideas on addressing hate incident/crimes locally, regionally and statewide.
Santa Ana Community Center: On 12/16 staff attended the ground breaking for a new Community Center in the City of Santa Ana.
Hate Crime Outreach: Staff provided outreach presentations on Hate Crime:
- On 12/2 to Share Our Selves staff in Costa Mesa
- On 12/11 for Cedar Evergreen Residents Leadership Group and KidWorks Resource Center staff in Santa Ana
- 12/11 visited Edison and Madison Elementary Schools in Santa Ana to provide information and brochures
- On 12/14 for Laguna Beach Residents at the LB Boys & Girls Club.
- On 12/22 at Muslim-Christian Peace-Building event at Pacifica Institute in Irvine
Hate Crime Response: On 12/11 staff responded to a Hate Crime at a Christian church and on 12/13 staff responded to a Hate Crime at a Mosque. On 12/15 Staff participated in Hate Crime Press Conference at the Garden Grove Mosque
Annual Wassail and Open House: On 12/8 the new Commission Director was introduced at the annual Wassail. AWARDS 46: The AWARDS 46 Call for Nominations was distributed, nominations for diverse community leaders and model community oriented policing programs are due on January 20th.
Community Capacity Building
Cedar/Evergreen Neighborhood: On 12/12 staff met with Cedar Evergreen residents to discuss project implementation and set dates for upcoming police-community dialogues.