Human Relations Specialist – BRIDGES Program
Accepting Resumes until March 6th
Send cover letter and resume to: Sheri Wingate, Office Manager at [email protected]
The BRIDGES Program is a nationally-recognized program serving Orange County schools for 25 years. We work with student and educator leaders to build campus environments that are respectful of diversity, where ALL students, staff and parents feel safe, welcome and respected. We offer conferences, workshops, camps and internships to support our work in schools across the county.
GENERAL DUTIES: Under the supervision of the Program Director, implementation of the program in schools throughout the county, including, but not limited to: working with students to create safe and respectful schools and improve school climate; developing student and staff leaders; facilitating retreats, meetings and trainings/workshops with youth and educators; developing school-wide campaigns to improve school climate; mediating conflict; practicing and implementing restorative practices. Human Relations Specialists also assist in researching and initiating action toward solving community problems pertaining to interethnic relations, intergroup understanding, police-community relations, provide assistance to diverse community groups and do other work as required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: BA/BS degree and 3 years of experience or equivalent experience which demonstrates knowledge and abilities below.
General Knowledge of:
- Human and civil rights issues that different racial, ethnic, religious, LGBTQ+, immigrant communities, among others, are facing.
- Youth leadership development techniques geared toward diverse student populations.
- Leadership development techniques geared toward training diverse groups of low income people.
- Dialogue and workshop facilitation and preparation skills.
Some Knowledge of:
- Methods teaching cross-cultural relations and respect towards all people regardless of race, religion, national origin, ethnicity, disability, age, gender/gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status or marital status.
- Dynamics of intergroup relations, problem solving techniques, mediation/conciliation methods.
- Restorative justice and restorative practices.
- Community organizing theory and strategies.
- Work with and empower youth.
- Communicate with grass roots community people in a non-patronizing manner.
- Work with diverse groups of individuals to promote cooperation and mutual understanding.
- Deal tactfully with sensitive problems involving divergent viewpoints.
- Understand and be able to teach the decision-making process of institutions to community groups.
- Prepare comprehensive written and oral reports. · Investigate and analyze human relations problems.
- Identify and dispel stereotypes about different groups.
HOURLY SALARY RANGE: $19.60 to $26.10 based on experience. Benefits package included.
Learn more about the BRIDGES ProgramDownload Job Posting