MISSION: Seek out the causes of tension and conflict, discrimination and intolerance, and eliminate those causes
Monthly Summary of Activities: October 2017
Police Community Reconciliation Program: Commission Staff facilitated 1 PCRP mediation case (OCSD)
PoliceYouth Dialogues: Commission staff has begun dialogues at Currie Middle School in Tustin and currently has 14 youth in attendance.
Sheriff’s Interfaith Executive Committee meeting: Commission Director participated and contributed to future planning for the Sheriff’s Interfaith Council meetings.
Community Outreach & Presentations:
- Commission staff made a hate crime prevention presentation at the OCDE Substance Abuse Prevention Conference.
- Commission staff facilitated a Community Building circle for the United Nations Association – Women’s group.
- Commission staff participated in Diverse Community panel for the Sheriff’s Academy training.
#Hate Free OC Campaign:
- Commission staff responded to 1 hate crime rand 1 hate incident reports from OCSD.
- Commission staff collaborated with the California Association of Human Relations Organizations in organizing the November 9th SoCal CAHRO conference that Commission Chair & Commission Executive Director will be attending.
- Commission staff facilitated a hate crime prevention workshop in Spanish at a Human Trafficking Survival event
Commission Director One-on-Ones:
- Commission Director met with the following Board of Supervisors staffers: D5 Chief of Staff – Paul Walters and D3 Chief of Staff – Melanie Eustice.
- Commission Director connected with John Becknell twice this month to discuss Commission’s Strategic planning process.
- Commission Director met two community members interested in applying for the City Selection Committee HRC appointments.
- Commission Director checked‐in with Commissioners Mark Miller and Bekele Demissie this month.
- White Ally Training: Commission staff attended a 6 hour training where attendees received tools on how to create respectful and safe spaces for people with diverse viewpoints can dialogue about important community issues.
- Peace Officer Standards & Training (POST): Commission staff attended a 40‐hour training that certified Norma Lopez & Don Han to facilitate trainings for police recruits at the Sheriff’s Academy. Currently, all Commission staff are POST certified.
Community Building and Training
Sherriff’s Academy Training: Commission staff facilitated a Cultural Diversity & Sensitivity training for 60 police recruits this month.
Implicit Bias Training: Commission staff facilitated an Implicit Bias training at Laguna Beach HS for 10 History Department faculty members.