MISSION: Seek out the causes of tension and conflict, discrimination and intolerance, and eliminate those causes
Monthly Summary of Activities: July 2017
Police Community Reconciliation Program: 7/10, 7/14, 7/20, & 7/25: PCRP Navigations & Presentations: Newport Beach –twice, San Clemente, & Costa Mesa. On 7/20: PCRP outreach and presentation to ACLU staff.
Sherriff’s Interfaith Council: Staff attended the meeting of the OCSD Interfaith Council on 7/26 at the Katella training facility of the Sheriff. Participants had the opportunity to participate in the training simulator that is used to teach use of force in crisis situations to law enforcement personnel. Additional reports were made on immigration policies of OCSD, and the Orange Police Chief Tom Kisela attended and reviewed issues he is dealing with in the City of Orange. The meeting was attended by about 30 people.
Sherriff’s Interfaith Council: 7/17: Staff met with Tustin PD Chief Celano & officers to discuss Police‐Youth Dialogues at Currie Middle School.
Community Outreach & Presentations:
- On 7/5 & 7/13, Staff participated in California Association of Human Relations Organizations conference call.
- On 7/19, Commission staff attended Expanding Perspectives Gender Equality Conference at UCI.
- On 7/19, Commission staff attended Equality Health Care Town Hall meeting at LGBTQ Center.
- On 7/28, Commission staff attended OC Public Safety & Re-entry Conference.
#Hate Free OC Campaign:
- On 7/18, staff met to discuss #HateFreeOC campaign updates and set dates for upcoming training & meetings.
- On 7/25 Commission staff had a conference call with CAIR to discuss their new development of smart phone application.
- On 7/27: HR Symposium Planning Committee conducted their first meeting.
Commission Director One-on-Ones:
- On 7/6: Commission Director spoke to Commissioner Mark Miller
- On 7/6: Commission Director met with Commissioner Kim Toan Do
- On 7/6: Commission Director spoke to John Becknell to discuss opportunity for strategic planning
- On 7/21: Commission Director attended meeting about Homelessness in OC with County staff.
Community Building and Training
National Association For Community Mediation
- On 7/13, Commission staff presented a webinar titled “Creating Safe and Equitable Spaces for Immigrant Communities to Address Concerns” to a national audience as part of the NAFCM community building project. o
- On 7/18, Commission staff facilitated a Conflict Resolution Workshop for Cedar Evergreen residents and partners o
- On 7/20, Commission staff attended the Neighbors & Police Together: Conflict Resolution CoTraining Webinar